-These ideas are what worked for me.
-These ideas reflect a bit on my religion.
-These ideas are considering you are not high-risk or having a complicated pregnancy.
-This post does not say anywhere in it that you cannot have a good/spiritual experience if you don't do these things.
-This is not an anti doctors/hospitals/epidural post, so please don't take it that way.
I hope that covers everything.
I've had a few friends ask me about my experience with natural childbirth, looking for pointers and such. I am flattered that I am being asked about this topic, as it is so dear to my heart because of the impact it has had on my life. While I'm definitely no expert, I feel confident enough to write this post in the hopes that it will help anyone who is interested in experiencing their childbirth the natural way. Not sure what constitutes a natural birth? Typically it means:
-Going into labor on your own (no induction and use of Pitocin- however I have a living, breathing friend who was induced and delivered TWICE without an epidural, so it can be done!)
-Managing the contractions and pushing the baby out without the use of pain medication or epidural
-Limited to no medical intervention such as breaking the bag of membranes, the use of forceps, and ultimately delivery by C-section.
Like I said, I'm not an expert and that's just my own definition of natural childbirth.
So, you want to deliver your baby all natural? Great!
1. Have a solid reason for WHY you want a natural birth. Saying "I just wanna see if I can do it" wasn't good enough for me. I wanted to do it naturally because I wanted to experience what my full potential as a woman is, I wanted to do it the way Heavenly Father intended it to be done. I also wanted to establish the very BEST foundation for breastfeeding as possible. This was very important to me because breastfeeding my baby was a goal and dream of mine (happy to report at 7 months old we are still breastfeeding and loving it!) I wanted to build the confidence in myself to do something that's hard. It is definitely the hardest thing I've done but it is my greatest accomplishment. Discover what your reasons are and write them down.
2. Get an awesome support group goin' on.
-Get a midwife. Few doctors will be the support you need to go natural. A midwife became a
midwife to bring babies into the world naturally and cater to your needs, not the other way around.
-Obviously your partner (and by partner I mean the one who is going to be your biggest support at
the time of the birth, whether that is your husband, boyfriend, mother, sister, pet turtle, whatever)
NEEDS to be on board with the idea and needs to know their role in the delivery, which should be
established together. My husband's role was to support my desire to go natural, to be encouraging
and positive and to never ever mention once the "E" word.
-Any friends or relatives you have that went natural should be great resources and support. Listen
to their stories. Ask them questions. Find out their reasons for going natural. There are support
groups all over the web and Facebook too.
3. Try to abstain from using any medication during pregnancy. Going medication free has a lot to do with your mindset. I wanted to build my pain tolerance and change the way I thought about pain so I never took a single medication during my entire pregnancy and birth. It sucked when I had a headache but like I said, it's creating a state of mind that will prepare you for birth if you can use other techniques to manage the pain.
4. Get moving. Stretch your hips and back daily. Do prenatal yoga. Do kegels. Do pelvic rocks. Do perineal massage (during third trimester). Have lots of sex. Walk walk walk. Going natural will use lots of energy and stamina. You don't have to train like you're running a marathon but definitely try to keep active so your body is used to physical activity, especially your pelvic floor muscles. You can also talk to your provider about taking red raspberry leaf in either tea or capsule form to help tone your uterus. Your uterus is a muscle and needs exercising and toning just like the rest of your body. Red raspberry leaf aids in that, which will help your uterus contract more efficiently to push baby out. Work smarter, not harder!
4. Watch the documentary on Netflix called The Business of Being Born. Besides being completely informative about natural birthing it also shows real labor and deliveries. Watching this was revolutionary for me. It helped me realize and see (because I'm a visual learner) exactly what I wanted for my own birth. Warning, it shows lotsa boobies.
5. Read the book The Gift of Giving Life. It has oodles and oodles of beautiful stories and articles about women having natural births (as well as stories about miscarriages, infertility, epidurals, c-sections and VBACS). It also helps build your confidence and inner strength. It will increase your understanding of the spiritual nature of having a baby as well. Worth the $20, no matter what your religion is.
6. Start telling yourself and others that you will do a natural birth. Don't make it a "maybe I will" or "I'll see how the contractions are" because that leaves room for self-doubt. Listen, IT HURTS. The pain is real. I had to accept early on in my pregnancy that it would be painful. I focused on learning to deal with and manage the pain, not make the pain go away. If you want the pain to go away, then get the epidural because that's the only thing that will make the pain go away (and sometimes isn't successful in doing that either!) Don't let pride keep you from making a firm statement of "I WILL." If you don't end up doing it natural it doesn't mean you failed. No way, not true. You are still bringing a little human into the world no matter how it's done. And that is a miracle!! But the more you tell yourself and others that you are doing it naturally, the more you begin to believe it too.
7. Build up your confidence. Keep a journal and write down positive statements like, "I am strong, I am capable. I was made for this. My body knows exactly what to do. I trust myself and my body to birth this baby. I have divine power to experience natural childbirth." Find other motivational phrases and quotes on Pinterest, you know there's a bajillion out there. Say these statements out loud, say them often. My personal favorites were "Whether you think you can or can't, you're right" as well as "This too shall pass".
8. Take a childbirth class. My hubby and I took a Prepared Childbirth class offered through the University of Utah hospital that was non-specific to any type of birth, mostly just informative to all things birth-related. (The most influential part of the class was when the instructor passed around an actual epidural kit for us to look at and handle. Seeing and holding the needle in my hand was enough for me to know I did not want that shoved into my back.) I've had friends who loved the Bradley Method and there's also Lamaze but whatever you decide, it helps A TON to get educated!
9. Look at your pregnancy and birth as a spiritual experience rather than a medical condition. Medical conditions require medications and interventions, having a baby does not (unless of course you are high-risk or are having a complicated pregnancy.) So whatever it is you do to create spirituality, do it. I personally enjoyed praying, reading scriptures and quotes, listening to uplifting music, meditating and writing in my journal. I was so much more in tune with my body and spirit when I did these things. I also felt so much peace. Birthing a baby naturally is well...natural! If you stay in tune with your body and intuitions, I promise you will know what to do when it comes down to the moment.
As you can see, most of the prep work is all MENTAL. Educate yourself. Knowledge is power! There is absolutely nothing to fear if you know what you are capable of and build lots of confidence. Don't psych yourself out, you CAN do it naturally!
You can read my birth story here.
Love it.
ReplyDeleteAmazing Tessa! Love this. I hope I can do this one day!
ReplyDeleteI love this and I love your birth story! I went natural as well with my little boy...best decision I ever made! I loved reading about the spiritual aspect of it all...you're so inspirational :)
ReplyDeleteI just barely wrote a blog post that is so similar to this, it's not even funny! I even started out with, "a bunch of friends have asked me about preparing for a natural childbirth lately...." I mention a lot of the same things in my post. I gave birth in a hospital and epidural with my first and the experience while uncomplicated left me wanting. I had my next baby at home and it was the best thing I ever did. I'm getting ready for my third baby now and preparing for another home birth. I'm so excited to give birth again!
ReplyDeleteI went to a hospital with my first. Besides morning sickness that required anti nausea meds first trimester, I was low risk. However, I was worried about unforeseen complications that would neccesitate a doctor. My ob was supportive, wasn't sure about the nurses. I figured that my husband., sister-in-law (who had two homebirths), and my mom (a former nurse), could make sure that I wouldn't be impeded. They, and my ob were great!!! However, the nurses, while not pushing any meds at me, did nothing to help and seemed to regard me as a liability instead of a patient! They did not bring out the squat bar that I requested during transition. I barely tore and I blame it on them for ignoring that request. Worst, was one of them wrote down that she gave my son the hep B shot. He did not need it, and there gave been cases of babies having bad to horrible reactions to it! I did use pain meds for headaches during pregnancy because I viewed birth as an intense, long work out that wouldn't involve headaches. Going to a midwife at a birthing center with my second :)
ReplyDeleteLol pet turtle
ReplyDeleteI have not been as active during this pregnancy as I would like. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it has progressed during this pregnancy ( I am 28 weeks pregnant) leaving it hard to go on daily walks as my hips and knees and ankles are giving out on me. I do stretch but I didn't early on during pregnancy, I just started making it a regular activity for me. Will my lack of activity during the first and second trimester prevent me from being able to give birth naturally ? Also do you think age has anything to do with ease of birth ? I am 17. Does that have anything to do with it ?
ReplyDeleteI have not been as active during this pregnancy as I would like. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it has progressed during this pregnancy ( I am 28 weeks pregnant) leaving it hard to go on daily walks as my hips and knees and ankles are giving out on me. I do stretch but I didn't early on during pregnancy, I just started making it a regular activity for me. Will my lack of activity during the first and second trimester prevent me from being able to give birth naturally ? Also do you think age has anything to do with ease of birth ? I am 17. Does that have anything to do with it ?
ReplyDeleteAnonymous 17 year old,
ReplyDeleteYou can most definitely still have a natural childbirth if you haven't been as active during pregnancy as you'd like. A lot of the preparation is mental, and trusting your body that it will do exactly what it needs to in order to birth your baby and cope with the labor. A lot of the times women don't trust their bodies to do what nature intended them to do, leading to use of unnecessary interventions and pain medication. You still have time to get your body prepared by doing safe squats, kegels, pelvic tilts, lots of walking and even sex if you aren't at risk for preterm labor! You can do it!
Have you tried swimming to ease the pain of your arthritis? That's a great, low impact exercise!
ReplyDeleteHaving a mindset that you are going to 100% rock a natural birth is so, so important! Especially for VBAC mommas.
ReplyDeleteI got here through Pinterest, and am a bit shocked/surprised to be honest. Being from the Netherlands, natural births here are completely normal, as are homebirths! Everyone before seeing any doctor, goes to a midwife and only women that really need medical assistance will be send to a hospital. Of course many women do deliver in hospital, because they prefer to do so, but also there it's very normal to have a completely natural birth. It surprises me to read comments like 'I wasn't very active, can i still have a natural birth', as if it were something exceptional, or that you would need a solid reason? I think you need a solid reason for it to NOT be natural, as any medical surgery or medication isn't without risks of complications.
ReplyDelete